Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Last week in show - Missed it !


Springtime is about to settle in Athens, at last, which tends to set me in a rather cozy mood. So, minimal review of last week's shows.


Thu.02/28 - 40 Watt

Showcase for Jimmy Hughes' (Folklore, Elf Power) bumbleBEAR label, back to activity after 5 years of slumber. I showed up far too late and missed most of the bands, but did catch Titans of Filth in their newest incarnation.
A few months ago, the band lost their multi-instrumentalist Emily Armond to her many other bands (Dark Meat, Mouser,Sea of Dogs) and their violonist Ann Rogers to her personal adventures. Since then, the Titans performed a couple of shows as a trio, before welcoming guitarist Spencer Rich among them. Replacing 40% for a band by yourself is no small feat, especially when the 40% in questions were so charming and talented. Nevertheless, Spencer did a fair job. I'm not completely convinced, however. The subtle balance the Titans had achieved and which materialized in some famous shows at New-York Popfest and at Hot Corners during Athfest 2007 will probably take more tweaking and practices to be fully restored. Still, the material is as good as ever, and I'm still fan.

Don't forget to lurk around the bumbleBEAR site, a true treasure trove of MP3s goodness.

MP3s:
Titans of Filth : Our Impending Announcement
Titans of Filth : Swinging Lovers

_____

Fri. 02/29 - Flicker

Following mostly the same pattern as the previous evening, I missed Everybody Everybody, the new band of Nate Mitchell (Cars Can Be Blue, Titans of Filth), Laura Swindall (Christopher's Liver), David Specht (Quiet Hooves), who were introducing Melissa Colbert, their new singer. From the reports I heard, the show was very dance-pop, fun and quite exciting, à la ESG. I know I should have hurried, but hey.
I was too busy drowning my regrets and celebrating my first day of Spring to really pay to the New Sound of Numbers the attention they deserved, but I liked what I heard. And the evening ended in yet another awesome dance party, but alas, my favorite partner was M.I.A. So I made more of a fool of myself on karaoke hero. I suck.

_____

Sat. 03/01 - Flicker / 40W

Talk about some confusion in the organization: the 40Watt was hosting Vic Chesnutt and Jonathan Richman, while Flicker was presenting Spring Tigers, another band named after a mall, and the Besties, more or less at the same time. Too many choices!
Spring Tigers followed their new motto "tighter, faster, louder" to the best effect. Really great show.
Vic Chesnutt
was entrancing, but I spent most of the show fixing my nicotine levels and trying not to break in tears. I therefore missed the verbal altercation between Vic and a spectator that may or may have not been on his cell-phone during the show.
Despite Marisa's cold (she had to whisper before the show as to save a bit of voice for the actual performance), the Besties were faithful to their name and their reputation. It'd been too long since they last paid us a visit.
Jonathan Richman
was as endearing as ever... He was again accompanied by drummer Tommy Larkins, and both were promoting the upcoming release of Jonathan's next album, "Because Her Beauty's Raw And Wild". Priceless, leaves me speechless.

MP3s
Besties:
The Zombie Song
Jonathan Richman: Not So Much To Be Loved Than To Love

After such a song, there's nothing much to add...

[Update 03/07/2008: Mike White posted pictures of the 40W show. Go and check!]

No comments: