Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pub notes - #1

So, I was about to fall asleep in front of the Satyricon, the bug that nagged me was fixed, I figured it'd be cool to go back downtown and check these bands at Caledonia. Running into a friend while getting some cash, I ended up for a little while at Flicker, where as a Xmas present Still small Voice were playing. Even if I wasn't technically in the audience, too busy with cigs outside, I attended the last part of their show, and man, was that great. The sound was quite right, they had fun and it showed, they did one of their Costello's covers, and that was just perfect. But too short for me, as I came late. Sempre cosi.
So I went back to my initial destination, to catch Misfortune 500. I really loved their Chameleons cover on their album, I came just at the time where they were doing another ("Paper Tigers"), and that was a nice surprise. The rest of the set was however not that much of a surprise. I don't wanna start bitching for my first official post, so I'll stick to positive comments.
- They are skilled musicians, 98% of the time.
- The girls in the audience were very cute, but unfortunately far too young (even for me). Nicely dressed, though, in this indie/darkwave way that I'm fond of.
- They can nail their Chameleons. Almost. Pretty close anyway.
- They gonna be schmeck on for the Brooklyn scene revival in 4 of 5 years.

Ah, dammit, the Chameleons (Note to self: Wow, I would never have thought to check whether the Chameleons were still active...). I discovered them afterwards, as usual, something like in 1987-1988. They were definitely part of my last-year-of-high-school soundtrack. They came through a tape made by a friend of a friend, penultimate-year-of-high-school. That was the time where we'd do mix-tapes for any occasion. Argh, time flies...

Anyway, DON'T FALL !!!

No comments: