Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pub notes #2

Last Tuesday, I accompanied a friend to a famous DIY venue downtown, to catch Everybody Everybody, the new project of Nate CCBB Mitchell (on bass) and Laura Swindall from Christopher's Liver (on drums), and a third member whose name eludes me for the moment. Interesting rhythmic section, heavily influenced by Pylon, but disappointing show overall. Some ideas deserve a longer cooking time.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm certainly getting weary of the kids gathering over the keg and not really giving any hear to what's playing. The tiredness lowered my patience level as well, and I spent a good part of Wednesday ruminating.

However, that Wednesday saw an awesome gig at Caledonia: Poison Control Center were opening for Casper and the Cookies, which brought me back faith in humanity (or at least indie pop).

So it was a Wednesday, the total attendance was less than 30 people (among them, Vanessa B-H. and Michael L. from Pylon, and Bryan P. from the Late BP Helium and that other band, you see what I mean, whose new haircut a la Robyn Hitchcock was the subject of a 15-minute conversation). The name-dropping isn't entirely gratuitous, as it should help you get a feel of the atmosphere: far more mature than the day before, connoisseurs (I hate this word), in one word, the indie family.

PCC is a quartet (Patrick, Devin, Joe and Don) from Ames, IO. It was my second? third? show with the full band. They played Athens Popfest regularly, last year being a notable exception, but they were here to promote "A Collage of Impressions", their latest album released last September on Afternoon Records. Their live is an experience, just pure rock energy, guitar acrobatics, ripped pants, and usually a lot of people on stage for their now classical encore, "Magic Circle Symphony". Remember the Bunnygrunt cover last Popfest ? Voila.

The Cookies show was pretty amazing. Three brand new songs made their premiere, along classics from the Optimist Club, "Marcel Marsalis", and many more (14 songs total). The songs fitted really well: the upcoming album they are currently composing and recording should be awesome. No I'm not partial.

With evenings like that, I'm not ready to give up the scene. Thanks guys.

"Love, love is the answer, until you get cancer, then you're lying, dying, dead..."

(Props to Daytrotter for the PCC MP3)

No comments: